Today’s lesson proved to blow some minds and open up a world of possibilities in our residents’ relationship with vegetables, particularly Cauliflower.
Thanks to the creative mind of Nutritionist Mary Graham and the willingness of the Came to Pass residents the opportunity to learn about the important role vegetables play in our wellness, how we can be creative with vegetables and how to shop for seasonal vegetables all came into play in the session.
After a discussion, the residents prepared Cauliflower Fried Rice to compliment the Steak Bites with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers. The reaction of the Cauliflower fried rice by the residents was nothing short of miraculous. The discovery of taking something as dreadful as a head of cauliflower and turning it into something delicious was an experience that was talked about over dinner with laughter and a feeling of empowerment.
Ingredients for 4 servings
1 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon garlic
1⁄2 lb ground beef, can substitute chicken, pork, shrimp, or tofu
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup frozen peas
white pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce
green onion, chopped, for garnish
1. Break down a head of cauliflower in a food processor until it’s the size of rice.
2. Heat sesame oil over high. Add garlic and fry until fragrant.
3. Add the beef, chicken, pork, shrimp or tofu and cook until 80% done.
4. Add carrots and cauliflower, stir until thoroughly incorporated. Mix in peas.
5. Push ingredients to the sides of the pan to create a well. Pour in 2 whisked eggs and let it set for 15 seconds. Scramble eggs and fold into the cauliflower rice.
6. Season with white pepper and stir in soy sauce.
7. Garnish with chopped green onions and serve.